Friday, October 23, 2015

How to Not be Bored in Ballet Part 1

Hey there!

First of all thanks so much for voting on the poll on the side. I again want to emphasize how important this is for me!!! This literally takes 15 seconds of your time and gives me so much inspiration. If you want to know more about this please check out announcements and/or everything postable. So here it is what you've all been waiting for.........HOW TO NEVER BE BORED IN BALLET!! (Have you noticed I like capital letters? It makes everything so dramatic)

1. Find some way to say to yourself, okay now it's time for ballet, before class
Okay, so this probably sounds like a very weird tip, but it makes sense. When I enter my ballet class we always do reverence. It's a tradition my first ballet teacher started. It's a simple way to enter the class and get yourself into a ballet mode. Reverence literally means to give deep respect for someone, and in ballet class it's showing your teacher respect by bowing the teacher to thank them for teaching you. My ballet teacher Julianna said that she can always tell how the class is going to go by the reverence. The whole reason we do it is to get yourself in the ballet mood. You need to be in the ballet mood, because then you can focus on ballet, and really have ballet become a part of you. Now I know everyone has those days they just cannot do anything in ballet, mine was last Wednesday in Brenda's class, I couldn't do a turn from fifth no matter how I tried and I always ended up on the floor. (If you don't believe me, ask Mikelle or Alecia).
Reverence by me

So in addition to the reverence I would like to add other things that I do to get the mood of ballet. A thing I like to do is find things in my life that i would like to dance for. I know this is deep, but it helps a lot. Today when I was walking home I saw a little girl alone in her driveway silently talking to herself and drawing with chalk. I thought about how it felt to be very little and have that great big imagination. I will think of it when I dance and try to incorporate freeness and dreaming into my dancing. I looked around me and saw the whole beauty of the world that God created, and when I danced I thought about how beautiful it was and tried to incorporate the beauty into my dancing. 

Another great thing that i like to do is play a piece of music that reminds me of dancing or why I dance or compels me to dance, it makes me feel great and excited for dancing. My top right now are:
It makes me feel so inspired and so ready and excited for dance
Where is my Mind - Maxence Cyrin (from the movie It's Kind of a Funny Story)
 I LOVE this song, I am currently choreographing a dance to it, and every time I hear it it makes me want to dance.
I am obsessed with this song I know all the words, and it makes me want to dance. 

Thank you so much for reading my blog! Posts in the How to Not be Bored in Ballet series will be up soon. I hope you enjoyed this!

- Ali Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment