Saturday, February 13, 2016

LONG LIVE NUTCRACKER!!!

Hi there!!

Today I wanted to talk about a topic that everyone seems to have confusion about. Ballet West. So, let's clear up the rumors and let me tell you what I know.

Yes, Ballet West has bought Park City Dance and it is now called: Peggy Bergman Ballet West Academy at Park City. (Long name I know). I think Trish and Sandy will still stay at the studio but it wouldn't be run by them anymore. We will still do competitions. The curriculum (Jazz, tap, ballet) will basically stay the same. I think we will have a few more ballet classes. I'm not sure if we will still train in American Ballet Theatre (ABT) style anymore. Some teachers are being added to teach the little kids. Here's the big change. Nutcracker will most likely only be held next year (2016) before it ends.

When I heard this I was shocked. Only one more year? I have grown up in the Park City Dance studio and I cannot remember a Christmas season without Nutcracker. I distinctly remember the first time I saw it and wanting to be a Sugar Plum Fairy. It's been my lifelong dream. Now, the chances of me ever getting the role of a Sugar Plum Fairy is like 0.005%. I would also love to be in snow, which, in my opion, is the prettiest dance of the whole thing. Now unless I move up three levels (which is like 0.00000001% going to happen) I will never get to be in snow.
Never get to be in Snow.
Photo Courtesy of: Park City Dance

Now don't get me wrong, I love ballet west and am thrilled to be a part of their company, (especially to get a ballet west jacket) but taking away Nutcracker is crazy!! Yes we will get a chance to audition to be in their productions, but me getting a part is 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% going to happen. They are one of the greatest ballet companies in the world.
My Lifelong Dream
Photo Courtesy of: Park City Dance

Also it's not just for us dancers, but also the community of Park City. Many families flock every year to see the Nutcracker. To some it's a tradition! It will bring you Ballet West money, and will attract more small dancers the join the studio.

I know that you would like to get rid of it because it might detract from students auditioning for your shows and might detract your audience. But when has your audience level gone down for your Nutcracker? Never. You're one of the most prestigious ballet companies in America. Also many many dancers from our studio will try to get into your shows, no harm done if they don't get in, but they wouldn't be able to truly preform if they have the Nutcracker.
What I will be for the rest of my Nutcracker season
Photo Courtesy of: Park City Dance

I also would like someone to tell me what other studios give their students a chance to preform in something that people will come to see that are not in their family? 0. Zero other studios give their students this. Sure, recitals are great but what person in their right mind would like to sit for three hour watching dances with no one they know in them? 0. Zero people. The more unique opportunities you have the more you draw people into your studio.

So that's my rant about Nutcracker. All who are with me say aye. (in the comments) Also if anyone knows how to make a petition will they please tell me? We should all write an email to parkcity@balletwestacademy.org. The more people who write the more chance we can make a difference. LONG LIVE THE NUTCRACKER!!! Thank you for reading my blog, I hoped you liked it. :)

- Ali Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment